___________________________________________________________________________

I am but a fickle heart longing to be fearless.



Monday, June 8, 2009

Unquestioning




Ah, there are so many things I could write about, but nothing I really want to say.
I hope that's okay with you--the person I can imagine is reading this--and that you are not wasting too much time by sitting down to read this. :)

Today I went to a new restaurant. Well, it wasn't really new, I just happened to be there for the first time. It's a little coffee shop & cafe. And of course, I was very critical of the iced latte I had. Being a former barista, sometimes I wish I was a little more ignorant when it comes to judging things like the quality of coffee (though I am also grateful to have such knowledge and discernment). Mine was poorly stirred and a little too watered down, but it wasn't the latte, or the bran muffin my mom and I shared, that made my day.

While we was sitting at the little round table in this small cafe, this adorable little boy walked over to me and just climbed up on my lap. He looked up at me with his mile-wide smile and sparkling eyes and just melted me. He was so thrilled just to sit there and look up at the fan on the ceiling above us, and at my phone on the small table in front of him. His dad looked over at him giggling and smiled, and then asked if he wanted some of the soda or Teddy Grahams he had been snacking on. So I helped him climb down off my lap. And once his feet were planted on the floor, he looked over at his daddy and the orange soda bottle in his hand, then back up at me almost as if to say "Hm, I'm not sure which is better..."

Then, after no more than 10 seconds of deciding, he reached his arms up in the air for me to whisk him up off the floor onto my lap again. Problem for him was, his daddy was a little quicker, and before he and I knew it, he was up in his dad's arms. And all of a sudden he just burst into tears and started crying and crying for me to take him back so he could sit on my lap again. At this point my mom and I were getting up to leave because we had finished our drinks. His dad laughed and said "Hey, you want to take him home with you?" We laughed and talked with him for a minute before stepping out the door.

One bold little boy that only sat on my lap for two minutes, with absolutely no thoughts or worries about who I was, just made my day. He trusted that I would be kind to him and take care of him. Sometimes I think we need this boldness with God. We need to just trust that he'll take care of us, and stop worrying that our lives will fall apart if they don't go the way we've planned. We don't need to ask questions. We just need to have faith.

It really is the small things that change your perspective sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment