___________________________________________________________________________

I am but a fickle heart longing to be fearless.



Saturday, June 20, 2009

Daydreaming



I've been thinking about where I'll be in the next five years. Or ten. Or twenty. Just daydreaming about all the thousands of possibilities that could be in store for me. It's quite exciting to dream about. And my dreams are always questions.

Who will I be married to? What will his laugh be like? What color will his eyes be? Will his hair be curly, wavy, straight, brown, black or blonde? Will he dance with me? Will he be an singer, architect, business man, farmer, or artist? Will he know how to cook?

How many children will we have? What will their names be? Will I smile at their giggles? Will I be a good mother? Will my children learn from me the things they need for life? Will they listen? Will I be patient? Will I nurture them well?

Where will we live? By the ocean? In the mountains? In the city? Will I have a spacious house or cozy apartment? Will I be content with it? Will it be clean or a little disorganized? Will I have a dog? Will I have a porch to sit on and watch the sun rise and set? Will I have a tire swing to watch my children play on?

Will I serve my husband and care for him well? Will I respect him, trust him, and show him my love? Will he always be there for me? Will we have a happily ever after? Will we live as servants of God? Will I be less selfish than I am now? Less conceited? Less worrisome? Less afraid? Oh, I pray that I will be.

I am so glad the Lord knows my dreams. And he knows my worries. He knows the desires of my heart. He knows me by name. He guides and directs me.

"It is God who arms me with strength
and makes my way perfect.

He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
he enables me to stand on the heights."

--Psalm 18:32-33

I have dreams. But I live in excitement that God's plans for my future will be beyond my wildest dreams. I cannot dream of how wonderful it will be and all the blessings he has in store. How can I fathom it? But I live in patience and trust that he is good, and he is faithful. The dreams I have now are questions, but I know my future will be an exclamation! Something I will long to declare: "My God is faithful! Hallelujah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment